Nov 21, 2007

MY FIRST VISIT TO MANIPUR BHAVAN AND THE FINDINGS

It may sound awkward that being a Manipuri and have been staying in Delhi for the past several years visited his home state bhavan for the first time very recently, indeed it is only also on November 20, 2007.

I was there for an official meeting with one of the worker, I reached the place by 09.00 hours, what shocks me in the first place was that non, not even the receptionist was nowhere to be seen. I waited for another half an hour, only then the receptionist trun in, while inquiring about the big bosses, i was told that they will be at their respective seats at the earliest. I again waited for another half an hour, still the same, no one turns up. By that time, i came to realised that Manipur Standard Time is also implemented in the capital city bhavan of Manipur. With my Manipur delay tactic, i patiently waited for the big fishes to turn up. It was already 10.00 hours, I was exhausted and think of loitering around and inside the building as far as i could penetrate.
Walking down the basement, I saw one old lady, sitting at a small cabin, I approached her, while almost touching her table, she came to know that someone is approaching her. Without giving me a chance to address her, she talk to me in Meitei lawn, she seems like seeing her lost sons, (this makes me realised that, I am not the only one who hardly visited this bhavan, but there are many Manipuri who doesnot care to visit their state bhavan), after inquiring about my appointment and other related informations, we came to know that we are hailing from the same locality in Imphal.
She then start all this iritating discussions. At the very outset, she told me about the bhavan environment and how they (i.e. the manipuri workers) faced a hardship in our own state bhavan. She told me that they were in some way or indirectly harash by their co-workers (i.e the mayangs). I was told that the Mayangs wanted all the Manipuris to be taken out of our bhavan. So sad!!

ABOUT THE BHAWAN

The State Guest House at New Delhi known as the Manipur Bhawan is situated at 2, Sardar Patel Marg, Chanakyapuri. This three-storied building has a total of 25 rooms out of which the 8 top floor rooms are earmarked for Ministers and other important visitors. All the rooms have attached bathrooms and those at the first and third floors are air-conditioned and provided with television and telephone connections. A special suite is kept earmarked for the Governor and the Chief Minister of the State. The office of the Resident Commissioner and other staffs are located in this Bhawan. A facilitation centre is being added to the Bhawan, which will provide ministerial and other office assistance to government officials on official visit to Delhi.

Another Guest House called the Manipur Tikendrajit House has been recently opened at 6, Bir Tikendrajit Road at Chanakyapuri near the Chanakya cinema hall. This new Bhawan has 9 double rooms and 12 single rooms all of which are air-conditioned. In addition there are 2 dormitories to cater to students and other group travelers. The 9 double rooms are designated as VIP rooms and kept earmarked for MLAs and other senior Government officials.


There are common facilities like a reception and a private mess in both the Guest Houses. The room rents are highly subsidized and priority is given to public representatives and officials who visit Delhi on official work.


To be continue..

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    Nice to see your blogspot. Actually I was looking for some informations for my write up on pathetic and petiable condition of Manipur Bhawan but got your profile here. Could you plis provide me more information and any suggestions so that we can give clear picture to the public.
    Currently I'm writing for the Sangai Express, Manipur. You can read my recent press releases to the following link.
    http://e-pao.net/GP.asp?src=1..140208.feb08

    http://e-pao.net/GP.asp?src=6..270208.feb08

    Regards,
    Chaoba phuritshabam
    You can email me in chaoba.ph@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete